ONE DROP

13.4.08

South Africa's "A" game

Wats up all you supporters of 1drop. I know it has been a minute since I last posted something for y'all, but I've been stuck on this one topic and I couldn't find a way to express it. Until now that is!!!

I was wondering how important will it be for other African countries to follow in the footsteps of South Africa, with regards to SA art, film, and fashion industry and what will it bring in return to the Continent?
The South African economy is the largest in Africa and 24th largest in the world. Due to this it is the most socially, economically and structurally developed country on the continent. So my question is "Can the rest of Africa be like this"? "And at what cost"?

South Africa has a great Art and Culture scene which allows the people to express themselves and push the boundaries of their expression, for this reason the country has more American companies shooting their  films there, as well as other markets such as Bollywood and European catalogs that go to SA for the great weather, fantastic scenery, professional workforce, and competitive prices. This shows the government that money is to be made in these industries and they should focus on making it a steady source of revenue for the country. There are  more and more African countries trying to be part of this industry (Like: Kenya, Nigeria, Namibia,  Senegal, Rwanda to name a few)  which is a great directions, I believe it would lead to more art forms being expressed, and more jobs for the local people, also more tourism which equals more financial profits for the country not-to-mention more knowledge and exposure to foreigners.  All this could lead to a more politically stable Continent. 

So I guess I can answer my own questions, YES the rest of Africa should follow in the foot steps of SA and then some, Every African country has it's own uniqueness but that doesn't mean all countries can't be equal in professionalism and expertise.

Now that we are at a time were there are many African countries trying to push forward, and even starting to think outside the box, it's important that we start forming partnerships within the continent and start advancing more projects forward in the areas that have to do with art and fashion and show outsiders as well as insiders that Africa can be a flourishing market for film, fashion, and art.
I will be in South Africa in the middle of June and I will keep you all update as to my findings and all the new projects that 1Drop will be a part of. Until the next entry.... 
Peace & Love

No comments: